09/07/2022 09:59 AM
Choose Yourself
by Star Slinger

This song was based on a self help book entitled "Choose Yourself" by James Altucher, and Star Slinger (aka Darren Williams) who told KEXP that, “This song will help you get out of a rut. This song will help when you feel you’ve lost your way. This song will help guide you. This spoken word song condenses quotes from a very helpful book I read last year." Check out the whole Song of the Day profile from April 25th, 2019: https://www.kexp.org/podcasts/song-of-the-day/2019/4/25/star-slinger-choose-yourself/ https://starslingeruk.bandcamp.com/
09/07/2022 09:54 AM
You're Not Always On My Mind
by Quivers

Melbourne-by-way-of-Tasmania band Quivers is the project of Sam J. Nicholson, who started it to keep singing after losing a brother in a free-diving accident. Nicholson said of this song, "“I wanted to write a simple song, just four quick chords and a slow realisation. I think I somehow stole the lyrical idea from Kylie Minogue’s “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” – that a song might be trapped inside just one thought. And in that one thought there might be everything. That’s how good that Kylie song is anyway.” -- "You're Not Always On My Mind" was a KEXP Song of the Day: https://www.kexp.org/podcasts/song-of-the-day/2019/4/24/quivers-youre-not-always-my-mind/
09/07/2022 09:48 AM
Sunday
by Foals

Another GREAT song from 2019. Speaking to NME, Foals frontman Yannis Philippakis said about being in lockdown: “One thing I’ve noticed is a pressure to be productive... everybody I spoke to was like, ‘Oh, it’s going to be a great time to write some music eh?’ I was like, ‘I don’t tell you when to do your job!’ I’ve got nothing inside right now. There’s almost like this sportsman-like pressure to seize the day. For the first few weeks, I’ve been perfectly content just resting. As time goes on, I’m sure that’ll change and I’ll start writing some music.” Read more from the NME interview, where Yannis says "It's perfectly fine to just sit around and do f**k-all": https://tinyurl.com/l439pur6
09/07/2022 09:42 AM
Weird Ways
by Strand of Oaks

Timothy Showalter says "Weird Ways has such importance for this record and more importantly my own personal journey. It was actually the last song I wrote for the album. It wasn’t intentional to come last but the significance of it being last is very important. I feel like Weird Ways echoes the entire tone of the album with just one song. It represent the entire arc of hopelessness to clarity. My buddies from My Morning Jacket played a crucial part in this. They were special for many reasons. First and foremost Tom, Bo, Patrick, and Carl are dear friends of mine and extremely empathetic soulful people."
09/07/2022 09:32 AM
God Moving Over The Face Of The...
by Moby

all for Justin
09/07/2022 09:28 AM
A Moment Apart
by ODESZA

09/07/2022 09:24 AM
Exit Music (For A Film)
by Radiohead

Kristen: Thx for taking us to Kexp Church and transmuting the grief and helplessness we feel with hard news of others and then also in all being human helping is tend to our own. With the past couple of hard years your Grief show will be powerfully healing and good medicine for all.
09/07/2022 09:16 AM
Purple Rain
by Prince & the Revolution

Anne in St. Louis: Thanks John, Owen & crew at KEXP. This mornings show is just what I didn't know I needed…Feeling all of the emotions, feeling comfort in your company and feeling grateful for the music to get me through it all.
09/07/2022 09:11 AM
Release
by Pearl Jam

Released in 1991, Ten is Pearl Jam's debut studio album. Following the dissolution of their previous band Mother Love Bone, bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard began rehearsing with new guitarist Mike McCready. "Release" was one of the first songs Eddie wrote with the band, and it's one that helped them find common ground. "We were strangers, but we were coming from a similar place," said Vedder. - https://bit.ly/3H3oliw --- Celebrating the music of 1991 & 50 years of music on KEXP! - https://www.kexp.org/50/
09/07/2022 09:08 AM
Perfect Day
by Lou Reed

It's a good day, last day of my husband Dan’s chemo!! Cancer fucking sucks.. Can you play Perfect Day by Lou Reed please? Sally in Denver
09/07/2022 09:04 AM
Ashes to Ashes
by David Bowie

John, Sitting here in my home office, trying to focus on the days deeds needing to be done. I awoke with sadness. Wasn’t sure why. Then I realized what it was. It’s what has come through my heart countless times. Especially in the last two years but well beyond. It’s mourning. Mourning of the loss of life. For the fragility of life. For our refusal at times to admit to it. For its inexplicable loss. This morning was the mourning of the lives lost in the Whidbey plane crash. A story to some of us. Devastation to others whose lives are torn apart by the loss of their family and their friends. Still, fellow humans and worthy of our time to stop and note it; feel it. The request for Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah put me over the edge. I just had to stop, close my eyes, and let a tear fall from my eye. But, I had company in the form of KEXP. And, I made it through. Felt what I needed to feel. No sooner had I, then old Dave plays, Ashes to Ashes. Mr. Bowie has always occupied a special place in my heart and consistently has popped up, just as he did today, just at the right moment, to put me back on the road. Thanks, man. For both tunes and for being there doing what you and all the rest of you do. As long as I am of this earth and have anything in my pocket I will support KEXP. As I always have. I’m going to take on whatever is next in this day. KEXP by my side. Bring it, world. Steve on Beacon Hill