08/26/2022 07:55 AM
Freedom 90
by George Michael

John & Co, Today’s the last (weekday) of summer break for this teacher who, for the first time in 17 years, really does not want to go back to work on Monday. Usually, I’m a little bit excited and ready to go back, but this year, I’m just not feeling ready. So much so, that I forgot to set my alarm and got some extra sleep and missed the start of your show today. If there’s any chance you can fit in “Freedom 90” this morning as a dedication to all my fellow teachers who are going back for another year of who-knows-what-the-hell-will-happen-this-time fun, I’d love it. At least it’s Friday and there’s one last work-free weekend to enjoy. Sigh. Andy -- George Michael was trying to free himself from the shackles of Sony, which was his record label at the time. They created an image for him to promote his Faith album, and Michael was now trying to distance himself from it. In the video, all the Faith trademarks explode: the jacket, the jukebox, the guitar.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A
08/26/2022 07:53 AM
Everybody’s Gay
by Lizzo

Hi John, Very excited to be hearing you live and in the same timezone! Being back in the PNW reminds me how much I love this part of the world, and KEXP will always be a part of that too. We’re currently obsessed with Lizzo’s new album so would love to hear anything from that, but particularly her sleeper Halloween hit - Everybody’s Gay. Big love from across oceans, continents and time zones, George & Kate -- Lizzo will be performing at Climate Pledge Arena on November 9th! "And no, when I sing ‘Take your mask off,’ I didn't mean your N95," Lizzo says. "I meant like the mask of the person that you have to uphold when you're out in the world, the mask that protects your true self. Take that off, because we accept you for who you are in this space." --
08/26/2022 07:51 AM
ENERGY
by Beyonce

08/26/2022 07:43 AM
Alive And Kicking
by Simple Minds

Yo John!! Good morning from the hot and dry east coast! Can you hit us with some LIVE Simple Minds Alive And Kicking??! I just recently discovered that exists and it's OUTSTANDING!! Thanks John!! Jay in jerzee --- Here's video of Simple Minds performing this song live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqvvT08hAjY
08/26/2022 07:38 AM
Don't Dream it's Over
by Neil Finn

Crowded House will play The Paramount Saturday, October 1st! -- Crowded House lead singer Neil Finn wrote this song. He explained: "I wrote that on my brother's piano. I'm not sure if I remember what the context was, exactly, but it was just about on the one hand feeling kind of lost, and on the other hand sort of urging myself on: Don't dream it's over. That one actually fell out literally, without me thinking about it too much." -- Finn considers this a song of unity. When he performed it in Hartford, Connecticut with Fleetwood Mac on March 15, 2019, he dedicated the song to the victims of the shootings in Christchurch, where earlier in the day a gunman opened fire on two mosques.
08/26/2022 07:31 AM
Root Down
by Beastie Boys

Hey morning team! My sister Heather is finally able to start working out again after chemo. I know it still wiped her out but I'm proud she's getting back. Could you play Beastie Boys root down for her to pump her up on this Friday AM? Jon in West Seattle -- Jimmy Smith’s 1972 “Root Down (And Get It)“ forms the track’s backbone. The song also samples "The Show" by Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew.
08/26/2022 07:27 AM
It's the End of the World As We...
by R.E.M.

This was heavily influenced by Bob Dylan, especially the way Dylan sang "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Michael Stipe had once imitated Dylan in a low-budget film called Just Like a Movie, which was a play on the Dylan song "Just Like A Woman." -- Want to see the video?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
08/26/2022 07:24 AM

It was written about my ex-wife and I. We lived in a one-room apartment downstairs from where the rest of the band lived in a two-bedroom apartment in Lodi, New Jersey. Couples often tell me it's "their" song, and I'm flattered that they feel the emotion and passion of it, but I am always a bit reluctant to mention that it is essentially an ode to a bitter break-up. — John Easdale -- The song features the same beat throughout, a feature Easdale explains was meant as "a way to keep the anguish constant."
08/26/2022 07:20 AM
End of an Era
by Dogs

Not to sound like a sappy sap, but I broke up with my boyfriend last night because things had gone south. Favorite breakup song? -- "What a wanker What a wanker I'm going away from here I'm going away from here It's not happy when a long relationship ends..." Perhaps these lyrics will soothe you: https://genius.com/Dogs-end-of-an-era-lyrics
08/26/2022 07:14 AM
Wet Dream
by Wet Leg

Wet Leg will be Live on KEXP today at 1:00 p.m. as we broadcast from the THING Festival in Port Townsend, Washington, August 26-28.: https://www.kexp.org/events/kexp-events/broadcasting-live-from-thing-festival/
08/26/2022 07:11 AM
Knees Deep
by The Beths

Hi John, happy Friday! We're seeing the Beths tonight in Asbury Park- if you can fit it in, I'd love to hear them. Thanks, Jayme, Neptune, NJ -- The Beths will be at Neumos on Friday, February 17th, 2023. You can pre-order their new album, "Expert in a Dying Field," due for release on September 16th: https://thebeths.com/
08/26/2022 07:10 AM
through your window
by Julie

Learn more about this Orange County band: https://www.newportbeachindy.com/orange-county-band-julie-combines-art-rock-and-grunge/ --
08/26/2022 07:04 AM
Vow
by Garbage

Good morning, happy Friday, and welcome to The Morning Show with John Richards! We would love to (try to) play your requests this morning! Let us know what you would like to hear ---dj@kexp.org or 206-903-5397. Thanks so much for being here! -- Happy birthday to Garbage's Shirley Manson, born on August 26, 1966. In this 2021 interview, she discusses fighting the patriarchy and how Patti Smith inspires her: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/garbage-shirley-manson-last-word-interview-1185833/ -- Watch a powerful live performance of "Vow": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv7-BzdXs1Y