08/05/2022 04:56 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
Station To Station
by David Bowie

Amazing long song I've never heard on the radio; only KEXP would ever play it. - Martha, Santa Fe -- A new musical direction was immediately evident on the album’s opener, the 10-minute title track. Starting with the sound of an approaching train, more than three full minutes pass of a slow, hypnotic instrumental march before Bowie’s voice appears. After several stately, cryptic verses, a celebratory groove suddenly erupts, leading into a lengthy, wild outro. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/how-david-bowie-brought-thin-white-duke-to-life-on-station-to-station-125797/
08/05/2022 04:52 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
Come Together [7" Version]
by Primal Scream

Primal Scream's Screamadelica album was both a love letter to the past, while also being one of the definitive aural documents of a new musical era. Absolutely essential listening for anyone who loves music. - Timm, Seattle -- The single versions of this Primal Scream song, mixed by Terry Farley, are radically different from the album version which was mixed by Andrew Weatherall
08/05/2022 04:34 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
This Mess We're In
by PJ Harvey

Good afternoon Kevin and Sharlese! Listen to your show every day and also the afternoon show. I just absolutely love getting to hear such an amazing wide variety of music on KEXP. Each DJ has their own style but everything is so diverse. i've been an amplifier for about a year and a half or so I believe and it's absolutely money well spent to be a contributor to this amazing station that brings people all over the world together through music. - Cammie, West Seattle
08/05/2022 04:29 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
Optimistic
by Radiohead

We can all use a little optimism in our lives these days… - Rik, Echo Park, Los Angeles -- Thom Yorke said in 2003 that the chorus of this song, "You can try the best you can. You can try the best you can. The best you can is good enough", came from the words of courage from his then-partner, Rachel Owen, as Yorke was worried that "nothing we'd done was releasable." -- Frank Ocean sampled "Optimistic" for his 2011 "Bitches Talking (Metal Gear Solid)."
08/05/2022 04:24 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
Bad Girls
by Donna Summer

This song evokes a moment in time - sex workers in the late 70s. It’s supportive, liberated and empowering. And well then, it’s Donna’s voice and that beat and the whistle - it’s just too much awesome! - Jenny, Seattle
08/05/2022 04:20 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
Groove Is In The Heart
by Da Lata

Every time I think of this song, I smile. And I love Bootsy. - Mike, Raleigh -- More than 30 years old, the "New York group’s classic track is infectious, euphoric, nigh-on impossible to dislike. Slice ‘Groove is in the Heart’ in two and it bleeds good vibes and rubbery, melodic funk." Read how this terrific song captured the energy of 90's New York club culture: https://djmag.com/longreads/how-groove-heart-captured-energy-90s-new-york-club-culture
08/05/2022 04:05 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese
This Is The Sea
by The Waterboys

I heard it for the first time on KEXP in 2008 and it really resonated with where I was at in my life. I've loved it ever since. - Jason, Snoqualmie -- The Waterboys came to KEXP and played an inspiring set in 2013; catch it here: https://bit.ly/3CvnaWZ
08/05/2022 04:01 PM
DJ: DJ Sharlese

Its A beautiful song about the human condition and something I know I would only know of because of KEXP - Jeff, Beacon Hill -- Yard Act will return to The Crocodile on Thursday, October 6th. Elton John said of the collab: "I love playing on other people’s songs, especially these guys, because I started off as a session musician. The fascinating thing is you hear things so differently from other people, and when you hear what they hear, then it all makes sense.” https://bit.ly/3RW2cYF