05/24/2022 06:55 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Could You Be Loved
by Bob Marley & The Wailers

Wonderful music from 1980 for KEXP's 50th Anniversary: https://kexp.org/50 Bob Marley's 'Uprising' was the final studio album released during his lifetime. In the middle of the song, background singers quote a verse from Bob Marley's first single "Judge Not": "The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your fingers, someone else is judging you."
05/24/2022 06:52 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Love And Mercy
by Brian Wilson

Love and mercy that's what you need tonight So, love and mercy to you and your friends tonight
05/24/2022 06:48 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Hold On When You Get Love and L...
by Stars

Take the weakest thing in you And then beat the bastards with it And always hold on when you get love, So you can let go when you give it.
05/24/2022 06:39 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Protection From Evil
by Ibibio Sound Machine

Tiago Di Mauro directed the video for "Protection From Evil": 'I’ve long been a huge fan of Ibibio Sound Machine, and their Afrofuturistic techno sound has resonated deeply in my native Brazil. When Max Grunhard from the band sent me the track and explained its commentary on the duality of conflict and discourse, it was important for me to communicate this within the video, especially considering the abstract lyrics. The look was inspired by Carmen Miranda’s “The Lady In The Tutti-Frutti Hat,” but we wanted to put a contemporary spin on these mid–20th century soundstage performances and create an experience that conveys a similar sense of awe and scale but was as methodically chaotic as the track.' (PHOTOSENSITIVE WARNING): https://youtu.be/lfMh0zfIO3A
05/24/2022 06:36 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Higher Ground
by Stevie Wonder

'Thank you Kevin and all of the KEXP community, You're always there when we don't know how to feel or react. That's truly invaluable to so many people. And in the wake of the latest preventable tragedy, I guess I just feel anger and helplessness - an anger and helplessness that is sadly familiar. Would you mind playing Higher Ground? " -- Daniel In 1973 Wonder was seriously injured in a car crash. He spent four days in a coma. Tour director Ira Tucker recalls, "I remember when I got to the hospital in Winston-Salem. Man, I couldn't even recognize him. His head was swollen up about five times normal size. And nobody could get through to him. I knew that he likes to listen to music really loud and I thought maybe if I shouted in his ear it might reach him. The doctor told me to go ahead and try, it couldn't hurt him. The first time I didn't get any response, but the next day I went back and I got right down in his ear and sang 'Higher Ground'. His hand was resting on my arm and after a while his fingers started going in time with the song. I said 'Yeah, yeah!!! This dude is going to make it!'" https://bit.ly/31KTAL4
05/24/2022 06:29 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Love's In Need Of Love Today
by Stevie Wonder

'Songs in the Key of Life' opening track is about how the meaning of the word "Love" seems to have faded in modern times. In an interview with Marc Myers, Stevie Wonder said: "There was something about [the song] that insisted on being the album’s opening song...The concept I had in mind was that for love to be effective, it has to be fed. Love by itself is hollow.” Watch a 1989 live performance in London: https://youtu.be/PwVBldW2Qgs
05/24/2022 06:22 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Talking About a Revolution
by Tracy Chapman

Multiple requests, including Josh in Magnolia -- Chapman said about the inspiration for this song, "they didn’t think that people’s lives who…, people who didn’t have money or who were working class, their lives weren’t very significant and they also somehow couldn’t make a change. But I feel that’s where change comes from, that’s where people are in most need.” http://www.tracychapman.com/
05/24/2022 06:17 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Beautiful Strangers
by Kevin Morby

"Hi from Bangkok! Wishing to hear Beautiful Strangers from Kevin Morby. I think it is also a song for today" -- Arnaud This single was released in honor of the Pulse nightclub shooting victims in Orlando with proceeds benefiting Everytown for Gun Safety ; http://everytown.org ;
05/24/2022 06:11 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Calling All Angels (live)
by Jane Siberry

"Please play Calling All Angels by Jane Siberry for those little babies we lost today. " -- Mendy in Seattle
05/24/2022 06:07 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
You Are Not Alone
by Brandon Summers

"My heart is broken after hearing the news from Texas. I will be holding my little one extra tight tonight. could I please hear you are not alone by Brandon Summers to help lift my spirit?" -- Rhiannon
05/24/2022 06:02 PM