04/07/2022 09:56 AM
End of the Line
by Traveling Wilburys

Thank you for sharing your stories today. We’ll be sharing stories from listeners and artists about their personal experiences with addiction, and playing songs that helped on their journey to recovery all day today. You are not alone https://www.kexp.org/musicheals/
04/07/2022 09:50 AM
Freedom 90
by George Michael

Dear John, Six years ago I was the most selfish, paranoid, grandiose, manipulative, lying, mean creature. I was lost. I never ate, I shook constantly, had seizures regularly, sweat through my mattress nightly, and saw and heard things that weren't there. I was so angry and afraid. Everything happening to me was someone else’s fault. My parents, my friends, the whole world was to blame. My life was never easy, but I don’t remember Mom and Dad pouring Jack Daniels down my throat. One day after twelve years of drinking all day I woke up and wanted to fight. I don’t know why that morning was different, but it was. I didn’t want to be anyone else’s bad memory. I wanted to live. My expectations were for less pain for myself and to create less damage to others, but what happened was completely unexpected. Getting sober was extremely hard. I was alone, but I soon learned I didn’t have to be. Sobriety is a battle and a gift. I was taught that early on. Never, ever do battle alone. A few years ago you read my note and played Prince because I told you about how I found myself dancing listening to you playing Prince. I hadn’t danced for a decade. Now with six years I have something even greater. A gift that comes from the beautiful souls who helped me. Freedom. The moments of freedom came here and there when I was without burden. Being present for the first time in my life was extraordinary. Being right here, right now free, with purpose and outside the bondage of self. So maybe a little George Michael for everyone fighting for a taste of Freedom. Thank you John for being a part of my sobriety story and I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my best friend to this disease and I hate you are in it too. I try to be of service to get out of my sadness and pain. You get to do that so beautifully for an untold number around the world and for that we are all truly grateful. Matt ========== Thank you Matt. Here's to freedom!
04/07/2022 09:44 AM

Radio stations across Europe, including the BBC, joined forces to simultaneously play "You'll Never Walk Alone" in a show of solidarity against coronavirus. The song ran out at 7:45 a.m. GMT on March 20, 2020, on hundreds of European radio stations. There is community in music.
04/07/2022 09:38 AM
Fearless
by Pink Floyd

My Dad is 44 years sober, an easy number to remember because I'm 43. I've been told all my life that my Mom saved my Dad's life and he has in turn saved the lives of hundreds as a sponsor and friend (my childhood dinner table always had an open seat for any who needed a safe place to be). My parents are heros. They love Pink Floyd - maybe you can slip in Fearless for them? - Alex =====
04/07/2022 09:27 AM
Pretty (Ugly Before)
by Elliott Smith

Thank you as always for all kind words and great music. Every year when I listen to the Music Heals program it's always such a good reminder to myself that we indeed "are not alone." This morning listening to you share your story about your conversation with your sister really resonates with me. I can't even count how many times I've had that similar conversation with my sister Sunshine over the last 7 years. My sister is an addict and is homeless now. While I will never give up hope she may someday get the help she needs. While we continue to encourage her to get help, my family and myself have have just accepted the reality of where she is in her life. We just continue to show her unconditional love and help her anyway we can. I miss my sister, it often feels like I'm grieving her even though she is still alive. Thank you and everyone else for sharing stories and experiences. It truly does make it feel like we are not alone. If you could play Elliot Smith "Ugly (Pretty Before). Thanks Gabriel ============ You're not alone Gabriel.
04/07/2022 09:23 AM
If Not For You
by George Harrison

Listener request "For all the people who support" You are not alone. https://www.kexp.org/musicheals/addiction/resources/
04/07/2022 09:18 AM
White Unicorn
by Wolfmother

"I was overcome by a feeling of joy and hope for the future. " - Briggs in Edmonds There is healing power in music!
04/07/2022 09:17 AM

I got sober in Kyiv, Ukraine of all places. Rock bottom came on a Friday in August 2009. I woke up alone in an apartment that I'd completely trashed the night before in a drunken rage. My wife had left and taken the kids. Curled up on the floor, I was finally willing to admit that I that I needed help. I found the number to AA and was directed to the English speaking group. I practically crawled into the meeting Saturday morning where I met the guys who would save my life. Without their love and support I would not have made it through that first year. On my one year sobriety anniversary, I remember pulling up to the meeting house with Wolf Mother's White Unicorn blasting full volume. My sponsor was standing out front waiting to greet me. I was overcome by a feeling of joy and hope for the future. Could you please play the Ukrainian National Anthem for my amazingly courageous Ukrainian brothers and sisters for Gregory, Mike, Valera, Bob, Bogdan, Jake, Vlad and the thousands like them around the world who are working the 12th step and saving lives. Thank you KEXP, Briggs in Edmonds ============ Glory to Ukraine!
04/07/2022 09:02 AM
Lean On Me
by Bill Withers

I was able to listen to a little bit of music heals on the way into work just now. I think about my dad, now 33 years sober and the struggle it was in my childhood with an alcoholic father. Singing was a big part of his recovery and I'm grateful for that. He has dementia now and I'm helping care for him, but he still remembers his sobriety and the music. Early in his sobriety he formed a singing group with others in recovery. They'd sing in churches and talk about their addictions. One of the songs I remember today is Lean On Me by Bill Withers. I believe his sobriety lasted because he knew he wasn't alone. He had others to help carry on. Thank you