09/09/2021 05:57 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
I’m Still Standing
by Elton John

I have dealt with mental health issues my entire life. Every 5 years something extreme happened that turned my life upside down. There were many times I thought about taking my own life. I never knew it wasn’t normal. Back then, I never even heard of hotlines. It started from an abusive childhood, many different forms of abuse, losing my ability to trust my own family. Always feeling like it was my fault because I wasn’t good enough. I took refuge in sugar as a kid. Top that off with being Native American and Mexican American growing up in predominantly white areas, I never felt like I belonged anywhere. I kept asking, why me? As a teenager I was given alcohol and I was off and running for years until it became a problem. As an adult I ended up married to someone who was very abusive. I finally got the courage to leave. I had kids so I had a reason to live yet I was in so much pain. Later on, I met my soulmate and we got married and I thought I was finally able to breathe. Then a tragic accident took him from me and I went back to drinking again. I could not handle the pain. I had no one else to talk to. No one knew how to talk to me after my husband passed so they just disappeared. If it weren’t for my kids and my mom, I don’t know that I’d be here today. Even though this isn’t Addiction Day, it’s often very much related. It was for me. After I got sober, I did a lot of soul searching. Therapy wasn’t for me, I had a bad experience but I found other ways to heal my mind, body and spirit. Since I didn’t have a support system, I started creating one by learning different modalities and becoming certified in Meditation, Reiki, Access Bars so I could help other people like me. This is what gives me real meaning in my life. It's even made dealing with the stress, anxiety, overwhelm and depression of losing my mother to cancer on Mother’s day, and the insanity of this pandemic bearable. I am experiencing more joy than bad days. And I’m still sober! Nothing gets you out of your head and into your heart like serving and empowering others! This is why me! A couple song that really remind me of this journey is "I’m Still Standing" by Elton John and "In My Room by The Beach Boys..
09/09/2021 05:46 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Always Love
by Nada Surf

You've Saved me so many times
09/09/2021 05:41 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
No Hard Feelings
by The Avett Brothers

If you get a moment, could you play "No Hard Feelings" by the Avett Brothers? When I’m upset or angry, I listen to this song and it reminds me to feel my feelings and then let them go. Holding on to hurt stops ya from enjoying the present. I’ve been missing my home a lot recently and the Avett Brothers always remind me of the place I love <3 - Marysa
09/09/2021 05:37 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Don't Follow
by Alice in Chains

Thank you so much for your programming and for being an empowering connector by providing a way for people to look into mental health resources. I just moved to Seattle (two weeks ago today), and I'm due to start college for the first time in four years after suffering a traumatic brain injury while attending college in 2018. I'm not sure how it'll turn out yet, but I'm doing what I can and learning that is more than enough. If you could please play "Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for reliable programming and especially for Music Heals. Cheers, Ben ------------------------------------------ My younger brother and I never agreed on too much musically but we both loved Alice in Chains. He was a guitarist and singer in a heavy metal band in Phoenix. Sadly, he took his own life. He suffered from mental health disorders. This song brings back memories of hanging out at the Mason Jar in Phoenix while waiting for his band to go onstage. Thanks! Anonymous
09/09/2021 05:32 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
On the Mend
by Foo Fighters

Since I was 16, this song has helped me through immense traumatic events and depression. When I'm missing simpler times, or failing to recognize myself, this helps ground me. I'm glad to be alive today. I would love to hear On The Mend by Foo Fighters. James
09/09/2021 05:19 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
You! Me! Dancing!
by Los Campesinos!

Hey Kevin - I know it's late for a music healths, mental health, but wanted to share how impactful KEXP and you have been, especially for a specific moment in time. Last February as the world was starting to spin out of wack, I was out on a run and my dad called. He told me he was diagnosed with cancer, aggressive cancer in his mouth. I decided to keep running after the call, was already listening to KEXP, and decided to write in about what my dad had shared. You got on the mic, addressed me with some kind words, and put on one hell of a running set for me, that took me from a 5 mile planned run to nearly 12 miles of freeing exercise. Thank you. I share this from Alki, getting ready to mush Quinnley once again on a run, listening to Drive Time. My dad is healthy, 9 months cancer free, and my wife gave birth to our second kid, son Lando last Thursday. I'm thankful for life, for music, for KEXP and for you Kevin.
09/09/2021 05:12 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
The Dream
by Houses

The album's title was taken from the titles of the first and sixth songs on the album. A "Carrion Crawler" is a centipede-like monster from the Dungeons and Dragons series of roleplaying games. Petey Dammit stated that the album was originally based around "The Dream," but after the band created the song "Carrion Crawler," John Dwyer decided to add its name to the album's title. The songs are completely separate other than their use together as the album's name. https://bit.ly/31XJkk0
09/09/2021 05:09 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Breed
by Nirvana

"Breed" was performed for the last time live at Nirvana's final concert, at Terminal Einz in Munich, Germany on March 1, 1994. Nirvana, as well as several other bands prominent in the grunge era, features heavily in Jessie Ann Foley's coming-of-age novel, "Carnival at Bray." Highly recommended for lovers of music, and it touches deeply on mental health issues as well. Check out our listeners reflecting on the release of this iconic album here: https://bit.ly/2X67jxe
09/09/2021 05:02 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
All My Fish Are Dead
by The Vega Bodegas

Thank you for joining us today for Music Heals: Mental Health as we acknowledge the struggles of mental health and emotional well being that so many of us deal with and how music can really make a difference. From 5am-7pm, we'll be reading your stories and playing your requests. You can send yours in by emailing stories@kexp.org and then tune in to hear the stories and experiences of your fellow listeners.
09/09/2021 05:01 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Television
by IDLES

It was a great look into IDLES' start, and their approach to community and mental health. Just saw their documentary last night, and what a great surprise it was to see my old friend John and KEXP make an appearance. Truly amazing how far you reach! If it fits a set today, Television would great. It's reverberating around my head today as I take on a difficult task. You are not alone! Brian