09/09/2021 02:54 PM
DJ: Evie
Work It Out
by Spirit Award

Local band Spirit Award is playing the Fishman's Fest in Everett, Washington, today, Thursday, September 9th. -- They say of this new song: "Work It Out" is kind of a mental health song. It’s kind of about dealing with everything we grow up with that shapes us for good or bad, and you either let the bad stuff control you or you can face it, name it, and give it less power over your life." https://spiritaward.bandcamp.com/album/lunatic-house --- Here's Live Video from Spirit Award's 2018 KEXP In-Studio: https://bit.ly/3rRVPr0.
09/09/2021 02:48 PM
DJ: Evie
Take Me To the River
by Talking Heads

Hi KEXP! Thanks for focusing on mental health today - I have been struggling more than ever the last couple of weeks with anxiety about my job and the overall state of the world. It warms me and gives me hope to hear the stories being shared today and knowing that I am not alone. When I am in the grip of shutting down with anger and anxiety, I often turn on KEXP to try to remind myself that I can get past this moment - and that the music will carry me through. ~ Drew --- Covering Al Green, Talking Heads recorded this track in the Bahamas with co-producer Brian Eno way back in 1978.
09/09/2021 02:42 PM
DJ: Evie
Breathe Deeper
by Tame Impala

Tame Impala play the Gorge tomorrow, Friday, September 10th. -- “Breathe Deeper” is a track about remaining calm in situations that are stressful, and remembering to breathe deeply.: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tameimpala/breathedeeper.html Watch the animated CGI dragonfly in the video for "Breathe Deeper": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTwlmgV3pEI
09/09/2021 02:36 PM
DJ: Evie
Trouble
by TV on the Radio

In the video for this song, frontman Tunde Adebimpe encourages and consoles strangers he meets on the street. “I just happen to like looking at people and wondering what’s up,” Adebimpe said of the clip’s inspiration. “We got some people together, some of whom we ran into on the street while we were shooting, and did that. We asked if they could quietly (or not) go to brighter or darker places inside themselves [and] let us be there with them for a little while. Everyone’s sifting through something, right?”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bunJBFtlt-I
09/09/2021 02:32 PM
DJ: Evie
Play For Today
by The Cure

Like everyone, this has been a very difficult year and I've suffered a lot mentally, not taking care of my mental health, drinking too much, and feeling major anxiety and a bit helpless. Shortly before the pandemic, my lifelong friend and groom in my wedding took his own life. We had an argument on Facebook of all things, having opposing views on gun control following the Las Vegas mass shooting. Me, wanting stricter control, was not something he agreed with. He called me lots of names, the usual anti-liberal rhetoric that seems to have surfaced in the past decade or so, and told me that Seattle has turned me into a 'douchebag.' It was the last 'conversation' we had after more than 30 years of friendship. In December of 2019 he hung himself. His suicide note simply read "Goodbye" on, of all things, Facebook... He was influential to me growing up and introduced me to tons of music. We went to countless punk and metal shows as teenagers and I'll never forget sleeping in his truck in sub-zero temperatures so we could get front row to a Slayer show, who had just released "Reign in Blood." It was one of the craziest shows I've ever been to, and there were many! He was also a MAJOR Cure fan. We watched The Cure in Orange dozens of times on VHS and never missed a show when they played in Denver. I was hoping you could play "Play for Today" by the Cure in memory of Lance, aka, LT. I miss him every day and wish we could've worked things out after such a dumb way to end our friendship - fighting online. I'm so proud to be a KEXP amplifier and I listen to KEXP every day. I can't imagine life without it. Thank you for this day and for all the days you connect with us listeners. ---Darren --- "Seventeen Seconds" was released on this date in 1980. The album marked the first time frontman Robert Smith co-produced with Mike Hedges.
09/09/2021 02:29 PM
DJ: Evie
Wildflowers
by Tom Petty

Thanks for doing Mental Health music heals. When I was 21, my mother killed herself. She had struggled with addiction and being bipolar her whole life, and as a result my dad got sole custody of me when I was 4. I always thought that I would get a chance to know my mom as an adult, when I was old enough to cope with her issues, and then I never got to. I will always remember thinking, "this will be the saddest day of my entire life," standing in her apartment and cleaning it out and thinking how that would be the only chance I ever got to know what she smelled like. I'm a new mom this year and it's really put a new perspective on what she must have gone through losing me. Can you please play Tom Petty's "Wildflowers," because it always makes me think of her ❤️ --Chelsea -- "You belong among the wildflowers / You belong in a boat out at sea / Sail away, kill off the hours / You belong somewhere you feel free." “I swear to god it’s all ad-lib from the word ‘go,’’ Petty told Paul Zollo in his 2005 book, Conversations with Tom Petty. “I turned on my tape deck, picked up my acoustic guitar, took a breath and played that from start to finish. And then sat back and went ‘Wow, what did I just do?’ And I listened to it. I didn’t change a word. Everything was just right there, off the top of my head. It’s a very sweet song. It’s got really good intentions.”: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-wildflowers-song/
09/09/2021 02:24 PM
DJ: Evie

Lonely by Jamilia woods. A beautiful song that helped me when moving away from friends and community. I moved to a rural area outside of Olympia three years ago and felt very alone for a long time. Driving home from events and gatherings in downtown Olympia trying to make new friends was always so lonely. I listened to this Jamilia Woods album a lot and it resonated with my loneliness at the time. Over the years I've built a small community here but am about to move out of Washington after many years. I'm excited but cautious with the loneliness to come yet again. ❤️ ---Henry -- Loneliness may be a place where the singer feels empowered. She sings, “Don’t take from me my quiet/Don’t take from me my tears/Don’t take from me me trials/Don’t take from me my fears”: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22156-heavn/
09/09/2021 02:18 PM
DJ: Evie
Dry The Rain
by The Beta Band

You learned about this band from the movie "High Fidelity," didn't you?: https://youtu.be/2M21cJ4NcBo -- Read an article about this Edinburgh band, "the self-destructive pop saboteurs who did it all wrong in all the right ways": https://bit.ly/3noBkUp
09/09/2021 02:12 PM
DJ: Evie
You Are Never Alone
by Vic Chesnutt

Thank you all so much for music today. It’s so nice to hear everyone sharing their stories to know that we are not alone. I just got out of a relationship a few months ago with someone struggling with depression and mental health issues. It was and continues to be hard because we still care very much for each other and he still is struggling. He is from Athens, GA and Vic Chesnutt is very inspiring to him, so I was wondering if you could play “You Are Never Alone” off North Star Deserter. Vic dealt with a lot of mental health issues himself, and has such a way of talking about it both in very heavy and very light ways. I think this song is one of the lighter ways… Thanks again --Anonymous ---- Don't miss this live performance of "You Are Never Alone" by Vic Chesnutt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwgqNc-0Dc Here's an obituary of Chesnutt, who died in 2010 at age 45 of an overdose of muscle relaxants: https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/jan/04/vic-chesnutt-obituary
09/09/2021 02:09 PM
DJ: Evie
I Wish I Was Sober
by Frightened Rabbit

Here are resources , both nationally and in Washington state, to help with mental health issues.: https://www.kexp.org/musicheals/mental-health/resources/ -- If you or someone you know is in crisis and needs immediate help, call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
09/09/2021 02:00 PM
DJ: Evie
Floating In The Forth
by Frightened Rabbit

my friend and I are working on a house in burien. He’s a nice but a pretty sad guy. If u could play frightened rabbits “floating in the forth” Also, love this song and i think it will lift him up. Oh and losing Scott Hutchison a couple years back. ❤️ jonathan --- In these articles, KEXP talks about the music of Scott Hutchison and what it has meant to us all: https://www.kexp.org/musicheals/mental-health/articles/