06/11/2021 09:47 AM
Alive And Kicking
by Simple Minds

The music matters but the DJ's may matter more for me. It's the selection, curation, expertise, the segues. KEXP is a masterclass in sound... Chazz -- Simple Minds were "alive and kicking" in 1985 when they released this song as the first single from their "Once Upon A Time" album. The group was enjoying creative and critical success, with their 1984 album "Sparkle in the Rain" a breakthrough. Lead singer Jim Kerr, who wrote the lyrics, had reason to celebrate on a personal level: He married Chrissie Hynde in 1984 and the couple had a daughter, Yasmin, the next year.
06/11/2021 09:40 AM
Ana Ng
by They Might Be Giants

I love y’all nerds! That’s all. --Roy -- The title of the track came from an experience the Johns had when they found a substantial number of Ng's listed in a phone book. Linnell: "I think I was collecting possible song ideas and, for some reason, I ended up looking in the phone book, and there were about four pages of this name that contains no vowels, Ng. I was fascinated because it's a name I didn't know about before, and it was filling up a large chunk of the Manhattan white pages. I called up some of the numbers kind of experimentally to find out how it was pronounced, and I got the phone machine of a Dr. Ng and I was kind of relieved. The message said, 'Dr. Ng is not in,' and I had my material."
06/11/2021 09:37 AM
Waiting Room
by Fugazi

This song has led to some very interesting covers, including those by TV on the Radio, Rancid, Jimmie's Chicken Shack (!), and The Blue Ribbon Glee Club, among others: https://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2012/04/23/fugazi-waiting-room-10-covers/
06/11/2021 09:29 AM
SONG 2
by Blur

"Woo-hoo!" "Song 2" lasts (You guessed it!) exactly 2 minutes and 2 seconds. -- There wasn't much thought put into this song. According to bassist Alex James, "We didn't think about it all." He added that he had a "really bad, sweaty" hangover the day they wrote the song. Producer Stephen Street revealed in an interview that "Damon [Albarn]'s guide vocal was pure babbling but it worked so well I suggested we went with it."
06/11/2021 09:22 AM
Waiting On A Friend
by The Rolling Stones

Hi John and Morgan! I'm at work and while in the restroom earlier I popped on the radio to hear how the drive was going and HAD to become an amplifier to get that tote so took an extra long bathroom break to donate! Now I'm on my 15 min lunch and LOVE the energy you both have! I needed this noontime pick me up! Thanks for making me smile and giving me the energy to carry on in good spirits with the rest of my workday I. Am. Healed! Keep on rockin! Cheers! --Chelsea --- BFF's Mick Jagger and Keith Richards go for a walk, run into Ronnie Wood at a bar, drink, and then (naturally) start singing together ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLVmBOOqVU -- Psst, that's Sonny Rollins playing sax on this song.
06/11/2021 09:10 AM
Blinding Lights
by The Weeknd

Toronto-based R&B pop artist The Weeknd (Abel Makkonen Tesfayewas) born in Ontario, Canada to Ethiopian immigrants. He credits his stage name to his high school drop-out status, claiming he left one weekend and never came home. --- The Weeknd will be here in Seattle, playing Climate Pledge Arena on Friday, March 4th, 2022. (And, yes, that's the beginning of the weekend.)
06/11/2021 09:07 AM
We Are Family
by Sister Sledge

"We are family...." KEXP is my community. It doesn't matter where I live, it is a part of me, and we listeners are in this together. --Michael in Houston --- Sister Sledge is four sisters whose last names really are Sledge. They were a backup band for various artists before releasing this album, which was their first. This was their biggest hit. It was written and produced by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers; their band Chic had a hit at the time with "Le Freak." Rodgers and Edwards got the idea for the song's title when they first met the sisters.: https://bit.ly/2LSoYDx
06/11/2021 09:04 AM
Dance To The Music
by Sly & the Family Stone

John and Morgan, Part of the magic of being an amplifier of KEXP is listening to the drive without that nagging guilt that I’m not supporting a station whose music, culture, and people I love. This is the first recession in my lifetime where I’ve been lucky enough to be gainfully employed. I feel lucky and grateful, and I know what it’s like for those who a struggling through this. So I “upped my amp” to $15 a month in honor of those who might not be able to give. Don’t feel guilty if you can’t support KEXP right now. Focus on you and those you love. We have your back. Thank you for being you. ----Hugh in Indianapolis -- Sly & The Family Stone performed "Dance to the Music" live on "Soul Train": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHaDc82w6OM