01/12/2021 08:59 AM
Atlantic
by The Weather Station

Tamara Lindeman said in a press release:"Trying to capture something of the slipping feeling I think we all feel, the feeling of dread, even in beautiful moments, even when you’re a little drunk on a sea cliff watching the sun go down while seabirds fly around you; that slipping feeling is still there, that feeling of dread, of knowing that everything you see is in peril. I feel like I spend half my life working on trying to stay positive. My whole generation does. But if you spend any time at all reading about the climate situation circa now, positivity and lightness are not fully available to you anymore; you have to find new ways to exist and to see, even just to watch the sunset. I tried to make the band just go crazy on this one, and they did. This is one where the music really makes me see the place in my mind; the flute and the guitar chasing each other, wheeling around like birds, the drums cliff like in their straightness; I love the band on this one. https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-the-weather-station-video-for-new-song-atlantic/
01/12/2021 08:51 AM

The hook samples the line, "I've been downhearted baby, ever since the day we met" from a live performance of B.B. King singing "How Blue Can You Get?," which can be heard on his 1971 album Live in Cook County Jail. That song was written by a British songwriter/music journalist named Leonard Feather, along with his wife Jane. They each shared composer credits on "Phone Booth" as a result of the sample.
01/12/2021 08:47 AM
Tom’s Diner
by Dna Feat Suzanne Vega

“I had just been in Tom’s,” Suzanne Vega said in 2010, “and I thought, wouldn’t it be cool to have a song called ‘Tom’s Diner’ about alienation, where you’re not connected to anything you see, you’re kind of seeing everything through a pane of glass. Lately on the internet I’ve been reading people saying this song is really random and it’s about nothing. It’s not about nothing! It’s about something! Every single scene has been set up to show that this person is alienated from life in general.”: https://ig.ft.com/life-of-a-song/toms-diner.html
01/12/2021 08:44 AM
Same Damn Luck
by NILÜFER YANYA

Nilüfer Yanya Reflects On A Tumultuous Year In 'Feeling Lucky': https://n.pr/3sgjsed
01/12/2021 08:40 AM
Lamp Lady
by Sevdaliza

Sevda Alizadeh was born in 1987 in Tehran, Iran. She is of Azerbaijani, Persian, and Russian descent. She moved with her family to the Netherlands at the age of five. At 16, she left home after obtaining a basketball scholarship, eventually playing on the Dutch national basketball team. Sevdaliza's latest was reviewed on KEXP: https://kexp.org/read/2020/11/9/new-music-reviews-119/ Find her music here: https://www.sevdaliza.com/
01/12/2021 08:37 AM
Caroline
by Arlo Parks

“’Caroline’ is an exercise in people watching and seeing situations unfold without context,” Nigerian-French artist Arlo Parks said of this song from her new album, "Collapsed in Sunbeams," set for release on January 29th. “It’s an exploration of how something once full of healthy passion can dissolve in an instant.” Watch the lyric video for this song: https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/music/listen-to-arlo-parks-intimate-new-song-caroline-2824051
01/12/2021 08:32 AM
Song For Bob Dylan
by David Bowie

In the song, Bowie describes Bob Dylan's voice "like sand and glue" which is similar to how Joyce Carol Oates described it upon first hearing Dylan: "When we first heard this raw, very young, and seemingly untrained voice, frankly nasal, as if sandpaper could sing, the effect was dramatic and electrifying."
01/12/2021 08:27 AM
Tryin' to Get to Heaven
by David Bowie

‘Tryin’ to Get to Heaven’ is from Dylan’s 1997 Grammy-winning album ‘Time Out of Mind’. It was originally recorded by Bowie in 1998 while working on his live album ‘LiveAndWell.com’
01/12/2021 08:25 AM
Yellow Submarine
by The Beatles

This is Ellie from Phinney Ridge. Today is my dad’s birthday (his name is Tim), and I was hoping you could play Yellow Submarine by The Beatles. I realize that that’s not usual for you, but he used to sing it to me when I was little and I thought he would appreciate it. -Ellie ------- Happy birthday Tim!
01/12/2021 08:19 AM
Elephant Stone
by The Stone Roses

ah 1989 - nice to have you back! throw on some Stone Roses? -Mo in SF ---------------- This was originally released in '88 as a non-album single and then was tacked onto the US version of the debut album
01/12/2021 08:14 AM
Common People
by Pulp

Need a Shatner fix now? Here he is performing Common People on the Tonight Show: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5m76m
01/12/2021 08:10 AM
Passion Is Accurate
by The Kills

Little Bastards is a compilation of The Kills' B-sides and rarities dating back from the band’s first 7-inch singles in 2002 through to 2009.
01/12/2021 08:07 AM

It will be 11 years in May that The Black Keys released their amazing "Brothers" album. Late last year, the Black Keys announced they’d be reissuing the album for its anniversary, and this new expansion would feature some outtakes. “Keep My Name Outta Your Mouth” and “Black Mud Part II.” The lyrics on the album mostly dealt with relationship turmoil. Just days before entering the studio, Carney had filed for divorce. While Auerbach said the songs were not written about his bandmate’s life, Michael Carney — Patrick’s brother, who does the band’s artwork — observed: “I think Dan wrote the songs from his own experience. But I think he wrote them for Pat.”
01/12/2021 08:03 AM
She's In Parties
by Bauhaus

The was Bauhaus' last final commercially released single.