12/03/2020 06:55 AM
The Day
by The Roots feat. Blu, Phonte...

For Jonathan in Chicago - healing music & love to light and color your day - you are not alone! "my depression can drain the color out of the world and leave me numb. today by the roots (off the how i got over album) is like opening the blinds and letting sunlight in. the last verse in particular reminds me to breathe, and let those breaths heal me."
12/03/2020 06:51 AM
Save the Country
by The 5th Dimension

Geoffrey from Milwaukee: "music can heal a nation as well as a person!" "This song takes me back to the early 1970s. It was a time of unrest in the country but there was also a lot of angst in my personal life because of a recent break up. I remember when this song came on the radio and it spoke to what we needed to do to heal as a nation and yet also to me to heal and move on. I would love to hear this song on the air today to remember that time and to think ahead as we work to bring our country together in the coming years. Music can heal a nation as well as a person!"
12/03/2020 06:47 AM
DJ: Gabriel Teodros
"Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the...
by Bjork

Listener Leanne shares healing words from Björk: "I saw her notebooks in New York, and as she was working on the song she was writing something along the lines of “be yourself if full bloom, you owe it to yourself” and I try to remind myself of that :)"
12/03/2020 06:41 AM
DJ: Gabriel Teodros

Listener Patrick with a "Shoutout to my wife Katie and our boy Sebastian for being the team that really keeps my mental health in check." "Music absolutely heals. Bigger than music - this KEXP community and family helps me remember that whenever I tune in. That I'm not alone. That there are real people out there that really care. Thank god for music that can transport us to another dimension and momentarily take us to another place. When my chest is feeling heavy and tight and full all at the same time...music heals. For whoever needs to hear it out there: so does therapy and medication (started anti-anxiety meds this year after a long time of thinking I could just handle it on my own) and meditating and going outside and time by ourselves and breathing deep and being with loved ones and whatever we need to do to make the hard moments just a little bit better. Thank you, KEXP. Whoever sees this. Whoever reads this. Thank you. This community is special."
12/03/2020 06:37 AM
Over Rainbows and Ranier
by Damien Jurado

Jayme in Neptune, NJ: "Thanks for this today- welcome to the teariest day of KEXP programming! . . . Today I shared the link to this program at my wonderful, supportive job. But my anxiety's in high gear now since we adopted a puppy and upended our lives. So this may not be as bad as other people's stories, but I am WIPED OUT. This programming is welcome. . . Thanks for making us feel less alone. I hope you feel it too."
12/03/2020 06:32 AM
Describe
by Perfume Genius

More healing music & hugs! Listener Eastman shares: "At the beginning of the pandemic I listened to "describe" by perfume genius over and over and over. Something about the melody and distorted sounds feels just like a hug."
12/03/2020 06:26 AM
DJ: Gabriel Teodros

Hugs back to Pippin in Kalamzoo, MI: "I love Chaka Khan, and this song will help me ease into my morning. Hugs to you." Stevie Wonder-written funk, Chaka Khan power vocals, Rufus funky vibes - healing music to go with hugs!
12/03/2020 06:22 AM
O-o-h Child
by The Five Stairsteps

Request by listener James. Things ARE going to get easier! You are not alone! - KEXP - and the music - is always here for you!
12/03/2020 06:18 AM
Shelter in the Rain
by Irma Thomas

Shout out to Maria in New Orleans! You are not alone! Find healing and shelter in the music! " I am trying my best to stay grateful during this long surreal year. I have family and friends, some nearby and some on the west coast. I'm tuned in today as my sister in Seattle listens with me. Yes music heals."
12/03/2020 06:11 AM
Underdog
by Alicia Keys

Sending light, love and gratitude to Hailey in Seattle - you are not alone! "Feeling isolated—disconnected—thank you for reminding us we are not alone. Thank you for talking about mental health and normalizing it. I am suffering from extreme PTSD so quarantine all alone can be really challenging. Looking for a light—and today you’ve given me one. . . Be well, be safe—and know that I am grateful for you."
12/03/2020 06:08 AM
DJ: Gabriel Teodros

Listener Rick shares joy with 'I'm So Happy I Cry'. "KEXP has been such a support to me through this last year. My particular version of 2020 hell was my divorce from my wife of 26 years. It’s been heartbreaking, but in spite of everything I’ve been able to wean myself off my anti-depressants this year, and I’m hoping I can make it through the winter without them for the first time in many years. One song that gives me joy every time I hear it is I’m So Happy I Cry by Fantastic Negrito. I’d love it if you could fit that into the mix. Peace."
12/03/2020 06:03 AM
DJ: Gabriel Teodros

Eben in Colorado shares hope, patience and courage. "I keep coming back to the Blackalicious album 'Blazing Arrow'. I go to the track 'First in Flight' when I need hope, patience and courage ("meditation, meditation, meditation"), and I go to 'Make You Feel That Way' when I need a smile. 2020 has been rough on us all, but especially those who struggle with anxiety and depression. I am grateful to actually be doing okay (healthy, working and safe), therefore we are trying to reach out to others and help. Thank you to KEXP for the reminder that we are not alone. Now we can carry that message out from here." Peace, Eben P. Clark