09/24/2020 09:59 AM
We Are Family
by Sister Sledge

Hey John, I'm one of these people prone to anxiety disorder. As you can imagine 2020 threw a wrench into my plans to have transcended all my mortal limitations. I felt that ominous sense that things are just not right, and no kidding, right? I tried to convince myself the current insanity from Covid to our political climate is not for me to obsess over as I have no control over it. But the looming threat of a greater doom ahead of us keeps me up. I feel as though I failed not only to fix a world I have no control over, but I also feel like I failed myself by allowing the anxiety to return. The one thing that keeps me hopeful that this, too shall pass, is that I am not alone in this anxiety. You and my fellow listeners remind me that as much as I feel alone, we are a family of millions going through it together. Every listener to you show shares something fundamental with me and each other: a depth of soul, a desire for a better world, and we anguish over the heartbreak around us, but we do it together. If you would, please play "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge, because it's uplifting and it is so true. Sincerely, Michael from Houston, TX
09/24/2020 09:53 AM
I Don't Wanna Grow Up
by Tom Waits

Thank you to... Lela Max Tim Erik in New Jersey John in Madison Kathryn Matt Whitney Michael from Houston, TX Lori in Seattle Maggie in Seattle Adelaide (2) and mom, Heidi Tom in Portland Sandi from MA. Phillip in the UK Ryan from Seattle Helen Wendy, the queen of Arkansas Dave in Kamloops
09/24/2020 09:50 AM
Lisa
by The Prayers and Tears of Ar...

My family is scattered around the house. Doing zoom calls and online school, we keep wandering into each other taking hug breaks. Yes. It's a mad world. But it is beautiful. We are not alone. You are not alone thanks guys. -John in Magnolia -- I so love this song and had forgotten about it. I remember many years ago explaining to my ~5yo daughter what this song about and her crying. It is so beautiful. -Joe
09/24/2020 09:45 AM
Mad World
by Brandi Carlile

I was feeling like crap, looking at my COVID credit card debt but slowly realized I was coming out of the funk. It's your show! Thank you! Great songs, much love from Gainesville, FL. Grace -- Watch this Brandi performance here. Amazing. https://twitter.com/brandicarlile/status/1305539960750182402?s=20
09/24/2020 09:42 AM

watch the video here and good luck not crying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMtMkZOoRQE&t=1s
09/24/2020 09:37 AM
Raconte-Moi Une Histoire
by M83

Oh, we are brewing up an idea that will BLOW YOUR MIND!
09/24/2020 09:34 AM
Pinball Number Count
by The Pointer Sisters

Hello from Avondale, AZ.. that "12345" song from Sesame Street warmed my born-in-1971 heart. Have a great effing day.. love your work. Israel - Watch the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUL4T8WcFdA&t=22s
09/24/2020 09:33 AM
Say The Alphabet
by Kermit and Joey

-- Watch the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRO97dhII
09/24/2020 09:27 AM
Life During Wartime
by Talking Heads

09/24/2020 09:23 AM
Born Under Punches
by Angélique Kidjo

09/24/2020 09:20 AM
Scary Times
by SAULT

The year isn’t over yet, Sault could conceivably release another album that’ better than their last 2 this year. -Brad in Ballard
09/24/2020 09:15 AM
Equal Rights
by Peter Tosh

Hi John, Can you please play "Equal Rights" by Peter Tosh this morning. BLM. Breonna Taylor. (I really appreciate you and all KEXP. Thanks for being here.) Will I power KEXP.
09/24/2020 09:12 AM
The Guns Of Brixton
by The Clash

Would love to hear Protomartyr's Pontiac 87, Clash's Guns of brixton, Angelique Kidjo covering born under punches, Or you could just put on arrest the president and the whole new SAULT record. So basically everything you already play. Regardless you guys are so important! Music is saving my sanity right now. Anyway have a great day from so-called "anarchist" Brooklyn! Josh (NYC) -- A reflection of police brutality in this one that was written and sung by Clash bassist Paul Simonon.
09/24/2020 09:10 AM
Soldiers
by J.Period featuring dead pre...

"... forgotten in the shadow of Kent State, police killed two black students at Jackson State in Mississippi. The incident spurred The Isley Brothers to record “Ohio/Machine Gun.” Fusing Neil Young with Jimi Hendrix, The Isleys re-framed the narrative of the song around rising racial tensions, bridging the cultural gap between the two songs as a deliberate statement: music was one of the few forces that could bridge the racial divide and bring people together - cultural connective tissue for a divided world." - http://jperiod.com/music/album-view/soldiers
09/24/2020 09:06 AM
Thought Vs Everybody
by Black Thought

Directed by Rodney Passé, the video for "Thought Vs Everybody", dubbed “The Visual Reckoning,” is a powerful mix of civil rights archival footage, footage of today’s Black Lives Matter protests, and footage of Black Thought.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0jU0ccUGQ
09/24/2020 09:02 AM
Check The Rhime
by A Tribe Called Quest

Released on this day, 29 years ago.