09/17/2020 04:55 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
This Year
by The Mountain Goats

TMG's John Darnielle noted wryly how social isolation hadn’t actually upend his life all that much. A planned tour has been canceled, as has his daily Magic the Gathering lunch match with a friend. He also can’t go into the office space that he rents to write prose. Other than those things, though, he thinks of himself as having been living a form of quarantine for decades. “When we first started touring, I considered myself a pretty social person, but then around 1997 or ’98, I started going, Wow, I don’t like being around people as much as I used to,” he said. “I stopped going to parties. Generally it has to do with the fact that when you’re touring, you’re in rooms full of people all the time. You start structuring your day around making sure you’re not constantly in front of people.” https://bit.ly/32DKZve
09/17/2020 04:51 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Can't Run But
by Paul Simon

“Can’t Run But” originally came out on The Rhythm of the Saints. That version was filled with bursts of polyrhythmic drumming from Brazilian percussionists Mingo Araújo and Naná Vasconcelos and languid guitar from J.J. Cale. Simon dispenses with the loose funk and rebuilds the song from the ground up for In the Blue Light. A string section shivers and darts, refusing to settle into a steady pattern; the slightly frantic energy serves Simon well as he promises, “I can’t run, but I can walk much faster than this.” The unpredictable arrangement comes from the National’s Bryce Dessner. In the Blue Light “consists of songs that I thought were almost right, or were odd enough to be overlooked the first time around,” according to Simon. “Re-doing arrangements, harmonic structures, and lyrics that didn’t make their meaning clear, gave me time to clarify in my own head what I wanted to say, or realize what I was thinking and make it more easily understood," adding, "It’s an unusual occurrence for an artist to have the opportunity to revisit earlier works and re-think them; to modify, even completely change parts of the originals.” https://bit.ly/3myvkW0
09/17/2020 04:46 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Untitled #4
by The Avett Brothers

Glide Magazine writes, "One of the highlights of the album is 'Untitled #4,' a song that features dual acoustic guitars before giving way to great bass work from Crawford and simple, but effective knee-slap percussion. Lyrically, the song is Scott’s exploration of the things important to him in life. It’s a journey of self-actualization, with Scott coming to the realization that 'I am happy being me the most/when I let what makes me happy go' before repeating the recurring statement of the song, 'I am happier with nothing.' It is classic Avett Brothers: contemplative almost in-the-moment exploration of complex philosophical and existential realizations that ooze with authenticity." https://bit.ly/3mya6aY
09/17/2020 04:42 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Times Like This
by Slim Dunlap

Bob "Slim" Dunlap is a Minnesota-based guitarist and singer-songwriter best known as a member of The Replacements from 1987 to 1991, replacing original lead guitarist Bob Stinson. Dunlap also recorded two solo albums in the mid-1990s. He was influenced by Hank Williams and Keith Richards, and has been called "one of the last old-school cool guitar players." Ralph Heibutzki at AllMusic noted that he "epitomizes the journeyman musician who plays for the fun of it, when his day gig allows." https://bit.ly/3iH2kZr
09/17/2020 04:34 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Body Yako
by Captain Planet feat. Kongo ...

Charlie Wilder, aka Captain Planet, shared the context behind the album's name: "There are different layers to it. I wanted to address the idea that, while certain people are constantly trying to build walls and secure borders, separating and dividing humans, music itself cannot be contained. It always crosses those boundaries and carries culture and change with it. A visa gives you permission to travel. Music doesn’t need permission, it will travel whether you like it or not. I have always wanted to create an imagined world with my music, where different cultures and languages intermingle and mix, where diversity is celebrated and not feared. It’s idealistic, sure, but we have to envision the world we want in order to call it into existence. "On another level, there is something to be said about the fact that I am a white man from the United States and benefit from serious privilege around the world. For me, getting a visa to go almost anywhere is possible⁠—relatively easily. I’ve had my entire world view change from having the opportunity to travel globally. I believe it’s the greatest education a person can have if they are open to receiving it. But that was possible partly because of my privilege. I’m constantly aware that there is a thin line between celebrating and promoting cultures and people from around the world that I revere, and exploiting them for my own benefit, particularly as a white man. It’s not easy, but I believe that’s the way the world will change for the better." https://bit.ly/3mw1B02
09/17/2020 04:30 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Switch It Up
by Protoje feat. Koffee

Born in 1981, Protoje is a contemporary reggae singer and songwriter from Jamaica. His mother is Jamaican singer Lorna Bennett, best known for her 1972 rendition of "Breakfast in Bed," and his father is a former calypso king from the island nation of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Mikayla Simpson, better known as Koffee, is a Jamaican reggae singer, songwriter, rapper, deejay and guitarist from Spanish Town, Jamaica. She released her debut single "Burning" in 2017, and in 2019 signed with Columbia Records. Her 2019 EP Rapture won the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards, making Koffee the youngest person and only woman to be awarded in the Best Reggae Album category. Currently, she is said to be working with Nick Ballis and Rihanna. https://bit.ly/35McQLZ You can enjoy the music video here: https://bit.ly/3ca6h79
09/17/2020 04:25 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Firestarter
by The Prodigy

Producer Liam Howlett shared, "I was starting the new album [when I wrote 'Firestarter'], and that was the first thing people were gonna hear. Then all hell broke loose, with that track. I was messing around, sampling loads of guitars, so I’d spend a lot of time recording guitars then really smashing them up and trying to make new sounds out of it.” The track samples The Breeders’ "SOS," as Howlett was a fan of Kim Deal and the "drone" sound on the song that gave it an "evil" build. Singer Keith Flint then came round after Howlett had written a minute of the song, and ended up recording his first vocals for a Prodigy song. "The backing track was almost done, and I said, if you was gonna put me on anything, that’s what I’d be on," said Flint. Flint passed away at the age of 49 in 2019, and inspired Kelly Lee Owens' new release, "On," off Inner Song.
09/17/2020 04:15 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
On
by Kelly Lee Owens

This track is today's Song of the Day, as chosen by Kevin Cole. It was inspired by the loss of the Prodigy’s Keith Flint, who passed away last year at the age of 49. (The working title was “Spirit of Keith.”) "'Firestarter' was one of the first CD singles I ever bought," she told Pitchfork. "Growing up in the ’90s, that was one game-changer that was like, 'What the fuck is this? This is for me!' Me being me, I was like, 'Come on Keith, let’s channel, let’s do this together.' Some of the sounds ended up being slightly late-’90s. Then it turned into a super personal track. The music always informs what needs to be said lyrically. The energy’s already there somehow; I just have to listen and it reveals itself to me." Download this song for free here: https://bit.ly/32HjXDn She has also revealed, "This is perhaps the most intimate and personal song I’ve written so far – the two halves of the track reflect upon sad acceptances of the truth, and then the joyous aftermath of liberation that can come from that." https://bit.ly/2AYDJPB
09/17/2020 04:09 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
All Is Full Of LOve
by Bjork

white label 12" Chris Cunningham directed the iconic video for Bjork; she was impressed by his original music videos for IDM musicians Autechre, Squarepusher, and Aphex Twin, and by his clear lines, science fiction inclinations, and discordant imagery. This resulted in Björk contacting him to meet at his London office; she brought a Chinese Kama Sutra as a guide to what she wanted. Cunningham had also associated the track with sex upon hearing it, but could not figure out how to make the video explicit yet broadcastable. Björk said: "I think the only thing I said was that I thought it was very white... and I'm trying to describe some sort of a heaven. But I wanted also to have the other level there, there would be lust, it wouldn't be just clean." She complemented saying she mentioned that the video should be "white" and "frozen," and then it "melts because of love" and "making love." The robots were designed by Cunningham and were built in full-size by Paul Catling, who had also sculpted the masks for Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker" (1999), in clay in two hours. He also worked with Julian Caldow in set design, which was created by Chris Oddy. The treatment described the set as an "elegant" and "white environment" with "a Japanese feel to it." However, the music video's director was dissatisfied with the result and relied heavily on post-production. On the shoot there were two main robot arms, but during its post production, a third and fourth robot arm were created in computer-generated imagery. https://bit.ly/3iIUvTp You can see the video here: https://vimeo.com/43444347
09/17/2020 04:01 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
Naturae
by Nacho Varela & Cruz Vittor ...

Can't get enough of this sweet track? Check out the vinyl version here, https://bit.ly/3iI0lEC; and Volen Sentir Remix here: https://bit.ly/3iLKyVq