02/25/2020 08:54 AM
It's A Shame About Ray
by The Lemonheads

Lemonheads lead singer Evan Dando, talked about this song. "It's spooky," he said. "It's about a disappearing person. It's a very open-ended, grey sort of song. I think it's one of those things, like The Trouble with Harry [a 1955 Alfred Hitchcock film]. Like a mysterious sort of song."
02/25/2020 08:50 AM

Frightened Rabbit performing "Swim Until You Can't See Land" live in the KEXP studio. Recorded 10/7/10. https://bit.ly/2VlZ8u0
02/25/2020 08:45 AM
Ever-Roving Eye
by James Elkington

Elkington shared this quote about "Ever-Roving Eye": “A more cosmic acquaintance of mine once told me that when your life is going in the direction you want it to, it’s the universe’s way of telling you that you are in the place you’re meant to be. Does that sound likely? Not at all, but the song asks the question anyway…” Tue. March 24 - Portland, OR @ Arlene Schnitzler Concert Hall
02/25/2020 08:43 AM
Drive On
by Johnny Cash

02/25/2020 08:39 AM
Copperhead Road
by Steve Earle

Steve Earle performing "Copperhead Road" live in the KEXP studio. Yeah, that happened. February 21, 2015. https://bit.ly/2HT6g90
02/25/2020 08:33 AM
Man Without a Soul
by Lucinda Williams

Lucinda Williams' new album, Good Souls, Better Angels will be out on April 24th
02/25/2020 08:31 AM
Describe
by Perfume Genius

Mike Hadreas describes "Describe": “It started as a really somber ballad. It was very minimal and very slow. And then it turned into this beast of a song. I started writing that about when you are in such a dark place that you don’t even remember what goodness is or what anything feels like. And so, the idea was having someone describe that to you, because you forgot or can’t get to it.”
02/25/2020 08:25 AM
Alec Eiffel
by Pixies

02/25/2020 08:22 AM
Superblood Wolfmoon
by Pearl Jam

If you pre-order Gigaton on vinyl it comes with a 7" of the album's first single, "Dance Of The Clairvoyants": https://bit.ly/38ZIZhO
02/25/2020 08:19 AM
Raleigh Days
by Archers of Loaf

Until "Raleigh Days", Archers of Loaf hadn’t released a new song since their final studio album White Trash Heroes came out in 1998. We're glad they finally did! They're coming to The Showbox on July 11th
02/25/2020 08:15 AM
Xian Man
by Stephen Malkmus

“Malkmus took on Traditional Techniques as a kind of self-dare,” reads a statement accompanying the album announcement. “Conceived while recording Sparkle Hard at Portland’s Halfling Studio, Malkmus had observed the variety of acoustic instruments available for use. The idea escalated within a matter of weeks into a full set of songs, and shortly thereafter into a realized and fully committed album.” Stephen Malkmus will head out on tour in support of Traditional Techniques in March and will be at The Showbox on June 27th https://bit.ly/2vfsG1G
02/25/2020 08:12 AM

Neil Diamond performed this on The Johnny Cash Show, where he explained: "This song was written about a revival meeting I was at in Jackson, Mississippi. I went there because I was curious, and also because I was a college kid who had all the answers - no one was going to teach me anything and I could lay a few answers on them. I sat in the back of this tent meeting and I got really caught up in the music - clapping, the singing - tremendously exciting. After a while I felt something about the people - there was a tremendous yearning, looking for answers. Trying to ease a very hard burden of very rough lives. After a while the music stopped and a preacher walked out. I remember thinking that all the education I had, all the books, all the words, all the learning I went through at college didn't mean anything to these people, I had nothing for them. So I found myself pulling for this man who was about to give them something that I couldn't even begin to give them."
02/25/2020 08:08 AM
The Underdog
by Spoon

02/25/2020 08:05 AM
Here They Come
by Hamilton Leithauser

Hamilton Leithauser is heading out on tour but there is no Seattle date. California is the closest but maybe you fancy a trip to Nashville? See all the dates here: https://bit.ly/391O0GK
02/25/2020 08:03 AM

Nonesuch Records releases the Magnetic Fields’ Quickies on May 15, 2020. The set—available on five vinyl EPs, one CD, and digitally, features twenty-eight new short songs by Stephin Merritt, ranging in length from thirteen seconds to two minutes and thirty-five seconds. Stephin Merritt talks about the Quickies concept: “I’ve been reading a lot of very short fiction, and enjoyed writing 101 Two Letter Words, the poetry book about the shortest words you can use in Scrabble. Also I’ve been listening to a lot of French baroque harpsichord music. Harpsichord doesn’t lend itself to languor. I’ve been thinking about one instrument at a time, playing for about a minute or so and then stopping, and narratives that are only a few lines long. To make the album, I used a lot of small notebooks, so when I reach the bottom of the page, I’ve only gone a short way.”