12/02/2019 08:57 AM

Seattle rapper and producer Ishmael “Butterfly” Butler on this album: "At the time, I wasn’t thinking about musical categories. I was just using the samples that I could get my hands on; they were from records that belonged to my moms, my pops, and my uncles. My father was a stated jazz aficionado and he was into all the avant-garde stuff; he was a big Eric Dolphy fan. Mom liked Motown and CTI jazz; Donald Byrd kind of stuff. That shit was fly too. My sound also came from what I was listening to: DJ Premier, Prince Paul, Cocteau Twins, P-Funk, Prince. A gumbo of all of that stuff became our sound."
12/02/2019 08:53 AM
The World Is Yours
by Nas

Pete Rock produced this track, which is based on a sample of "I Love Music" by the jazz musician Ahmad Jamal. Rock was playing Jamal's 1970 album The Awakening when he heard the track and started integrating the drums. When Nas heard what he was up to, the rapper suggested that Rock sing the hook instead, which he did.
12/02/2019 08:47 AM
In a Spiral
by Phantogram

In a press release, vocalist Sarah Barthel provides some insight into the new song: “In A Spiral” started from a beat that Josh [Carter] had in his back pocket for quite some time, which I had gravitated to immediately and written some vocal ideas for. But the song was waiting for the right moment to reveal itself to us… We threw it on at the last minute while we were preparing to go record in Joshua Tree at the magical Rancho de la Luna with our friend Boots, and once we got out there everything started to fall.
12/02/2019 08:43 AM
Utopia
by Goldfrapp

There is a 20th anniversary reissue and box set of Felt Mountain coming in late 2020
12/02/2019 08:39 AM
Meridian
by ODESZA

ODESZA performed live in the KEXP studio September 8, 2017. https://bit.ly/37Yw3Zq
12/02/2019 08:34 AM
So Heavy I Fell Through the Ear...
by Grimes

“So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth,” the latest single from Grimes' upcoming album Miss_Anthropocene, comes out February 21st. It’s the third single that will be included on the album, following “We Appreciate Power,” which came out almost a year ago, and “Violence,” which came out back in September.
12/02/2019 08:31 AM
Hey, Ma
by Bon Iver

“Hey, Ma” was produced by Chris Messina, Brad Cook, Justin Vernon, and BJ Burton. It features vocals from Wye Oak’s Jenn Wasner and sampling by Psymun.
12/02/2019 08:24 AM
Life Begins At The Hop
by XTC

Colin Moulding of XTC wrote this one and said "First song of mine ever to make the A side of a single, and a bit special to me as a result. I like to reminisce and this one sprang from spending the greater part of my adolescence on a council estate and having the church hall hop as the only way of getting me rocks off. I go into a trance everytime I think of those young socialists meeting in the church hall every Friday night. Well, you have to write about something, haven't you?”
12/02/2019 08:20 AM
For The First Time
by Best Coast

Best Coast are coming to The Showbox on March 4th. Tickets & info: https://www.showboxpresents.com/events/detail/386561
12/02/2019 08:16 AM
Heaven Or Las Vegas
by Cocteau Twins

Bandmember Simon Raymonde recounted that he would record Fraser's vocals alone for days at a time, during which he first "fully appreciated how amazing she was": "She'd come into the control room and say, 'What was that like?' and I'd scrape the tears away and say, 'That was alright, Liz'. She didn't get off on praise. If I said. 'That was fucking amazing', she'd say 'I thought it was shit.' I learnt not to be too effusive, which was difficult because I was so blown away with what I was hearing."
12/02/2019 08:12 AM
Boyish
by Japanese Breakfast

“Boyish” started its life as a demo in Michelle Zauner’s song-a-day project and went on to be included on Little Big League’s sophomore album, but Zauner decided to reimagine the song for Soft Sounds From Another Planet, her second album as Japanese Breakfast.
12/02/2019 08:07 AM
Roll With It
by Oasis

This song preaches the importance of being yourself, a point of view that often features in Oasis tracks. Noel Gallagher admitted to Select magazine: "It's just a typical Oasis thing. 'Shut up moanin' and fuckin' get on with it...' It's the same sentiments as in nearly every song we do. You know, Supersonic – 'You've gotta be yourself.' It starts to get a bit boring, but those are the lyrics I feel comfortable with."
12/02/2019 08:04 AM
Howl
by Avalanche Party

12/02/2019 08:00 AM
Family Dinner
by Sons

You can get Family Dinner on limited edition yellow vinyl here: https://bit.ly/2OGrxap