09/10/2019 09:59 AM
Lovely Day
by Bill Withers

If you or someone you know is in crisis and needs immediate help, call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). Find a list of additional resources here: https://www.kexp.org/musicheals/mental-health/resources/
09/10/2019 09:52 AM
This Year
by The Mountain Goats

09/10/2019 09:49 AM
The Mother
by Brandi Carlile

Brandi Carlisle: "Parenting is and will be my greatest accomplishment. And yet, the dichotomy of motherhood continues to catch me off guard, too. Sometimes I look at my children and love them so much it physically hurts. Then there times when my children drain all of the energy and patience from body to the point of not knowing who I am anymore. I can’t even love myself in those moments, and in the middle of pieces I don’t like, I still love being the mother of my three kids."
09/10/2019 09:43 AM
Somebody To Love
by Queen

At the end of the song, he finds hope and decides he will not accept defeat.
09/10/2019 09:37 AM
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
by Radiohead

Thom Yorke insisted that he didn't really write this, that it wrote itself. He claimed the band was merely its messengers, for something he called "our purest, saddest song."
09/10/2019 09:31 AM

09/10/2019 09:26 AM
Happy to Be Here
by Julien Baker

Julien Baker on the story in "Happy to Be Here": "I was on my way to therapy on April Fool’s Day and thought, If I don’t laugh about this in my car right now, I’m gonna cry. It’s gonna be sad. I have to find this funny, because it is not a joke. What if I got there and they were like, “April Fool’s! You’re normal. Go home and be happy.” But “Happy to Be Here” is more about my experience deciding to be proactive in recovery. Once I started trying to do that work, actually going to therapy and participating in a community of people who were also in recovery, I learned that the process is never done. There’s no point where somebody puts a big red stamp on your manila folder and says, “You are normal now.” No one is."
09/10/2019 09:23 AM
Middle Cyclone
by Neko Case

09/10/2019 09:17 AM

Sesame Street did a parody of this called "With A Little Yelp From My Friends." It was performed by "Moe Cocker," a Cocker Spaniel. This version of the song is about a dog who yelps for help when he can't find his bone or scratch a flea. Sometimes you just need a scratch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR7CDEixRho
09/10/2019 09:10 AM
Fell On Black Days
by Soundgarden

In 1994, Chris Cornell spoke to Melody Maker about creating the song and the meaning behind it. "'Fell On Black Days' was like this ongoing fear I've had for years. It took me a long time to write that song. We've tried to do three different versions with that title, and none of them have ever worked," he said. "It's a feeling that everyone gets. You're happy with your life, everything's going well, things are exciting - when all of a sudden you realize you're unhappy in the extreme, to the point of being really, really scared. There's no particular event you can pin the feeling down to, it's just that you realize one day that everything in your life is f--ked!"
09/10/2019 09:00 AM