10/27/2017 04:55 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole

On the cover art: “For us, the RTJ1 hands were about ‘taking what’s yours’ – your world, your life, your attitude. The RTJ2 hands were wrapped in bandages, signifying injury and healing, which for us represented the growth in ideas and tone of that album. For RTJ3 the bandages are off, the chain is gone and the hands have been transformed into gold. For us this represents the idea that there is nothing to take that exists outside of yourself. You are the jewel.”
10/27/2017 04:52 PM
Root Down
by Beastie Boys

"Co-produced by Beastie Boys and Mario C., the album is among the band's most varied releases, drawing from hip hop, punk rock, jazz and funk. As with their prior release Check Your Head, this album continues the band's trend away from sampling and towards live instruments. It features musical contributions from Money Mark, Eric Bobo and Amery "AWOL" Smith and vocal contributions from Q-Tip and Biz Markie. The Beastie Boys were influenced by Miles Davis' jazz rock albums Agharta and On the Corner while recording Ill Communication." https://goo.gl/rqtvPe
10/27/2017 04:48 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole

During her cancer treatment Sharon Jones chose not to listen to music: "I didn't. I didn't. Because I couldn't sing. I couldn't get air because, people didn't realize, I was cut across the diaphragm, all the way up from right under the center under my breasts, all the way down to the top of my navel, almost. They had to cut through the diaphragm, through the stomach, remove stuff. They removed like 10 pounds of things ... 10 pounds that I never gained back." https://goo.gl/scx3i8
10/27/2017 04:46 PM
Tears Dry on Their Own
by Amy Winehouse

Commemorating the 11th anniversary of this incredible album.
10/27/2017 04:43 PM
How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
by Prince

On his original recording of the song, which was released as the non-album B-side to his 1982 single "1999", Prince performs most of the song in his falsetto range, with his own bluesy piano playing providing the only instrumental accompaniment. The song's first album appearance was on his 1993 compilation The Hits/The B-Sides. It was later included on the soundtrack to the 1996 film Girl 6. Prince also performs the song on his 2002 live album One Nite Alone... Live! https://goo.gl/WKxsZW
10/27/2017 04:37 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole

"In the past, I've always tried to cloak stuff and dance around the meanings in the lyrics. I'm starting to come around to more straightforward lyric writing; I've been trying to do more of a Raymond Chandler thing, just keep it really simple... I'd hope that I'm starting to move into some lyrical direction that's not a single subject over and over again." https://goo.gl/ba2374
10/27/2017 04:31 PM
Guilty Party
by The National

"People don’t necessarily make a connection between ‘indie music’ and the Dead, but Day of the Dead showed that to be an artificial separation; a lot of our heroes were coming in to contribute, like Lee Ranaldo, Stephen Malkmus and Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo, and they all love the Dead. Cat Power, too. Bob Weir from the Dead was involved, and he went on to make his first solo record in 30 years, Blue Mountain, which we played on, and toured with him on. It was fun to shine a light on how good those Dead songs were, and their commitment to improvisation and avant garde experimentalism. I took a lot out of it." ~ Aaron Dessner https://goo.gl/smKZeg
10/27/2017 04:27 PM
Ceremony
by New Order

10/27/2017 04:18 PM
DJ: Kevin Cole
All Is Full of Love [White Labe...
by Bjork

On Kevin's personal copy of this vinyl is a stuck-on label announcing: "VERY LIMITED BJORK: White Label Remix of 'All Is Full of Love.' Buy now or search later on eBay!!"
10/27/2017 04:12 PM
Solstice [Current Value Remix]
by Bjork

The album features remixes of tracks from her eighth studio album, Biophilia (2011). All of the remixes were previously released on The Crystalline Series or the Biophilia Remix Series, and were all remastered by Mandy Parnell. Although all tracks had already been released, Björk "felt it important to gather together the essence of the remixes" so she "picked a quarter of them for one CD for people who are perhaps not too sassy [sic] downloaders or don't have the time or energy to partake in the hunter-gathering rituals of the internet". The cover features the 'strata' persona Björk adopted for the "Mutual Core" music video which was directed by Andrew Thomas Huang. https://goo.gl/igNgeY
10/27/2017 04:05 PM
Machine
by The Horrors

“I don’t even listen to our records. Once you release them, they’re not for you anymore, they’re for everyone and it becomes very different.” ~ Josh Hayward https://goo.gl/Wfmj5A
10/27/2017 04:01 PM
Am I An Alien Here
by Wolf Parade

“With [Cry Cry Cry], we thought, ‘Ok, let’s trim everything away.' Everything that wasn’t useful in a song was pretty much immediately discarded. And then, because we’re ourselves, we ended up with two fairly long prog songs, which are kind of my favorite songs on the whole record... In retrospect, this is the record that would’ve been a more logical follow-up to Apologies. But I think after Apologies came out, our subsequent two records were really just a reaction to public reaction. I think the band maybe had an existential crisis. I’m not saying At Mount Zoomer and Expo weren’t totally valid expressions of art, but I think that existential crisis informed the type of songs that we were writing.” ~ Dan Boeckner https://goo.gl/Q8hYUJ